Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

You Know That One Lady In The Store With The Loud Kid & Frayed Nerves?

  Well, today it was me! The morning started off fairly well, but somewhere around 11:30, this train veered wildly off track and I'm just now recovering. It actually started to unravel last night. However,  just like that one annoying thread that you think will break off if you pull it just right, then in a matter of seconds your shirt needs a new hem, that was this morning. My mother's air conditioner stopped working around 8 last night, so we made arrangements for an HVAC service to come this morning and I was to let them into the house. I got a confirmation call this morning at 8:30 saying to expect the tech by mid-morning. I thought, "Great! I need to go to the store and I'll still be able to do that when the tech leaves."
  I'm sure at this point, my eternal optimism (or naivete) is painfully obvious. I know these things rarely go as planned, but I thought they would today. When no tech by 11:30 I called and found out he'd been delayed. OBVIOUSLY! They said he was about half an hour away. He did show and he fixed the problem, but the whole thing took until 1:30, and was a major distraction from our usual routine of lunch and nap. So, here I go loading my three children into the car during the hottest part of the day and sans nap-time. Oh, side note, my two year old is also feeling under the weather. Fast forward to 3pm, where we are standing at the checkout, my nerves are shot and my two year old, normally quite well behaved, has reached his sell-by-date. My daughter and oldest son are cranky and fidgety, while the ruler of the pack, is climbing out of the cart and causing a scene that I never believed would involve me.
  And now, my apology, to every other mother I judged so harshly, because she had unruly children or seemed overwhelmed. I am sorry. You never know the whole story and now I've had a large piece of humble pie for my afternoon snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment