Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

All I Wanna Do Is Enjoy Shark Week!


So, this may sound out of character, but I love Shark Week, on the Discovery Channel. And I'm happy that many of the programs during the afternoon and early evening are only PG, so the whole family can marvel at those beautiful, vicious creatures. One problem: the commercials, mainly the movie trailers. There is a new horror film being advertised on every commercial break! The trailers are disturbing to me, so I'm really disgusted that I have to worry about my kids watching them. I suppose I could DVR everything we want to see so we can skip ahead, but it's not very convenient nor as much fun. So after one very frustrating hour of the annual "Sharkapalooza" (and this was 5pm to 6pm, not even prime time) I decided to change the channel. I'm really disgusted with the increase in disgusting movie trailers on many channels, before prime time viewing. I understand that programming after a certain hour is geared toward adults, but during football season, we are watching Sunday afternoon and I cringe at the trash being during breaks. And while I'm at it, we watch a lot of PBS, Disney and Nick, although we bounce around between the latter two, due to shows I think are too mature or just innaproproate for my family. Disney is now on my list, though, because they've decided to make a vampire show and its advertised during programs my kids are allowed to watch. It's ridiculous! Just because the rest of the world is vampire crazed because of a series of novels (geared toward teens, ugh!) doesn't make it ok for all kids everywhere, does it? I would love to be at a point where we could give up the tele completely, but to be forced into it because the general decency of the major networks has gone out the window! This Mom is about fed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment