Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Celebrating the Oops in the Bathroom

Always on the move.

So, if you've read my blog, you know my youngest is 2 1/2. We tried potty training several months ago and, 6 new pairs of undies, a training seat and a mini potty later, we decided he wasn't quite there yet. It's a tough call because every child is so different, but I tried not to stress about it, remembering that we didn't even attempt to potty train my oldest son until he was at least 2 1/2. However, we have a new reason to try to master this skill. If due dates are to be believed, then our newest addition to the family is arriving exactly 3 days before Declyn turns three! I'm not one to rush him, but he is developing more understanding each day and thought it would be prudent to at least give him a chance. Yesterday was day 1 of "Potty Training: The Sequel." This time was much different, as Declyn went for long stretches with no accidents, as opposed to last time where I set a 15 minute timer and about 3 minutes after I pulled him off the potty, we had a mess.
Now, to this morning. After he woke up, I gave him time to eat, then put him on the potty. We got out some "Big Boy Pants" with a T-Rex picture on them. We discussed coming back to the potty if he needed. Fast forward 45 minutes and I hear the toilet lid hitting the tank repeatedly. Realizing after a quick head count who's missing, I jumped up and ran into the bathroom. Declyn stood there, in a puddle, next to the toilet, trying to put his potty seat in place. Awesome!!! Not that he had an accident, of course, but that he went to the bathroom to do it. I praised him and told him I was so proud that he knew to run to the bathroom. I reminded him to let Mommy help next time. We got cleaned up and danced around, "What a big boy!" I've never been so happy to clean up a puddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment