Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Smaller is Better and Channeling Aunt Wanda

In America, the need for everything to be the biggest and best is ridiculously out of control. And I have discovered that, in many cases, bigger is not better. It starts with babies; they are the most beautiful creatures on earth, whether human or animal. And look how little they are! This rule also applies in the kitchen. I realized, really by accident, that little food is not only cuter and more appealing, but it also gives a feeling of contentment not easily found with larger foods.
I'll explain... It started a few years ago when I used to make 'Doggies in Blankets' (we started calling them this when my then three years old thought it sounded funny calling hot dogs piggies). I used to grab a package of eight hot dogs and a can of biscuits and make eight doggies. My three year old daughter and two year old son could demolish three or four of these doggies each, in one sitting. One day, on a whim, I cut each hot dog into three pieces and then then same with the biscuits and made a whopping 24 'Pups in Blankets.' Imagine my shock when my children, after eating only five of these pups (less than two whole hot dogs) were full and happy. Awesome!! So, now I've tried it with  hamburgers and taco pies. Last night I made cheese burgers sliders. I used one pound of hamburger and made the little buns with my white bread recipe (see Recipes). Absolute hit! Plus my whole family of five were full and satisfied on just 12 mini cheese burgers. When I make standard size hamburgers on the grill, my husband alone can eat two or sometimes three whole hamburgers. That meal usually requires two pounds of meat. So not only am I saving money by making everything smaller, but my family does even notice they are eating less.
I'll also share another secret with you. I started putting dinner on salad plates, instead of using the full size dinner plates. Martha Stewart would probably be astounded at this table setting, but my family is fine with it. I have a great aunt that said she used to feed a family of four on one package of hot dogs a week. Aunt Wanda, I don't know how you managed, but I think I'm starting to figure out at least some of your secrets!

No comments:

Post a Comment